Tuesday 19 August 2014

Borrowed Light




This term our class went to see the short film festival. There were 15 short films! Then Miss Stubbing had a super idea. We could write a short part from the story from one of the films called borrowed light. It is about a boy or girl (your choice) who took all the lights so everyone could see the meteor shower. We started off by writing a list of words that mean the same thing. We looked in the thesaurus for the meanings of brave,scared,worried and nervous. We had to do it all in 1st person (you as the character).Then we got to choose if the character was a boy or a girl. When we were writing we had to remember to use lots of adjectives and to show don't tell. Then we all sat in a circle and shared our writing. We think that most of the people made you want to keep on reading the story.

by Katie, Charlotte and Jade


Some of our writing:


I am about to grab the last light when I hear heavy breathing behind me.  My heart skips a beat.  I feel petrified.  Slowly I turn my head and I and see someone staring back at me.
by Tom

Creeping toward the shine of the light.  I hear a strange sound coming from the hallway. Extraordinary to see that glowing thing making the house shine.  I feel sorry that I am taking this amazing light.  As quietly as I can I take the light off. Suddenly I hear a person run worriedly.  The person sees me.  I quickly take off all of the lights.  On my way while I was running I took some more lights.
by Kali

I once saw a meteor shower.  As I twisted the first light my heart started to beat faster like lightening speeding super fast. Then I started to feel a bit ok like I was doing the right thing.  Then I popped through the window and then I felt a bit weird like someone was staring at me. I got the lights and turned around.  There was a man there. He picked me up and the lights all smashed and we saw the meteor shower. I felt amazing.
by William

Creeping to a glowing thing covered with moths.  Climbing up the brick wall. Ah! I feel the cramp under my arms.  I hear the creak in the wooden floor.  I feel anxious about doing this but I know that I am doing this for good.  The feeling of courageousness is climbing up from my feet to my brain, when I started I thought that is how all the people will think how bizarre I am.  Suddenly it’s slow motion, I'm in the air then thud! I land on my gluteus maximus with a shock. I feel tense because a man is running after me! Ah! I need to get to my secret base.
by Frankie

I ran down the town taking the lights, streets, houses.  The town was nearly pitch black.  I went back to the old run down observatory to see if it was nearly here.  It was nearly time for it to come.  I had to be quick.  So I went back into town to take the rest of the lights. I felt both fearless and afraid.  When I got to a house I got some lights, then… a man appears in front of me.
by Guy


3 comments:

  1. It was really good seeing everyone perform their piece last week at assembly ... great storytelling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great writing room 10!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice short film - and such descriptive writing - well done to all the writers from Room 10.

    ReplyDelete